Re: twainscan 600 III EP plus

Jeff DeFouw (mrj@i2k.com)
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 15:55:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Apr 1994, Ross Lippert wrote:

> Hi. I have the scanner mentioned in the subject line. It appears
> that IDE scanners are harder things to write drivers for. I find it

I have this scanner too... you mean parallel port scanners. I don't think
there is a such thing as an IDE scanner.

> out of the goodness of your hearts. So, I'd like some advice about
> how to write a scanner driver. Is there something which makes IDE
> nearly impossible? I have never written a driver before, but I have

Most parallel port scanners use proprietary protocols, and the
manufacturers don't release the information about how to communicate with
them.

> done a little reading about them on the net, and I am proficient in C.
> If you have some information that would help me understand the issues,
> files which I could use as templates, that sort of thing, I'd really
> appreciate it.

I'm working on a driver. If you want to try at it yourself, there's
little information we can give you. There are patches to WINE to grab the
port I/O and bochs can also be used with modifications. Other than that
you won't find much. The actual programming part is the simple part, and
you can look at the other SANE drivers to see what they do. The way I'm
going at it is a standalone driver that does direct communication with the
parallel port, and then I will merge it with whatever else (SANE) after
that works.

--
Jeff DeFouw <mrj@i2k.com>
I2K Staff - http://www.i2k.com