Re: xscanimage won't detect my scanner

Jamie Zawinski (jwz@jwz.org)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:16:13 -0800

Peter Kirchgessner wrote:

> what does your file /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf say ?
> You might need to remove everything but the line
>
> /dev/scanner

It used to say

scsi HP
/dev/scanner

I deleted that first line, leaving only /dev/scanner, and now it works!
xscanimage with no options comes up with a checkbox for "hp".

> and see what happens. If xscanimage does not find the scanner,
> you should export SANE_DEBUG_HP=10, start

With the original (two-line) config file, what I get with the above is
just:

[sanei_init_debug]: Setting debug level of hp to 10.
[hp] init called
[hp] scsi_new: open failed (Invalid argument)
[hp] scsi: Can't open scsi device
[hp] exit called

Lots more output with the one-line (working) version of the file, but I
assume you're not interested in that.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I've got things working now. If you want
more info from me to figure out what went wrong, let me know.

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz@mozilla.org    http://www.mozilla.org/   (work)