Re: To Astra 6X0S users!

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:47:57 +0200

I answer this mail public because it may be interisting for others too!

Rob Fargher wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:34:33 +0200, Oliver Rauch wrote:
>
> >did anyone test if the new umax-backend works with the Astra 6X0S
> >scanners?
> >
> >Please set the shading type in advanced options to "calculate average and
> >invert"
> >and do some color scans (not preview)!
>
> Oliver, I tried it with XSane 0.19 and Gimp on my Astra 610S. The "calculate average
> and invert" not only works but it works quite well! Thank you. I played with it a fair
> bit this afternoon and had no problems.

Thanks for that info!

> A couple of suggestions about XSane:
>
> 1) Rather than just having one printer command in Copy mode, I would like to have 3
> radio buttons, labelled "Draft", "Good" and "Best" with individual printer commands
> assignable to each. I have an Epson Stylus Colour II inkjet printer set up with
> GhostScript with different print queues for different output quality. I don't need 720 x
> 720 dpi resolution for photocopying a page of text where 180 x 180 monochrome is
> ample (i.e. draft mode) but would like to have 720 x 720 CMYK available for
> photocopying some beautifully coloured fractals!

I plan to add a setup/selection for different printers. But this will take a while, there
areother important things first.

> 2) In copy mode, Xsane will not work if the filename in the entry box in scan mode is
> non-existant or invalid. A small point but why should it matter in copy mode?

Should be ok in the next version!

> 3) I don't know if this next one is possible in Xsane. In Copy mode, I would like the
> ability to specify the image position on the print page if the zoom factor is < 100%.
> Right now, it simply centres the image on the page.

That will come in the far futuer the way it is done in xv.

> 4) The availablity of the histogram, coupled with the ability to adjust levels from the
> histogram is marvellous. Thank you, it is a significant enhancement to the
> functionality of Sane. But the custom gamma table (or curve tools) in xscanimage is
> also very powerful. Could you add that code from xscanimage to XSane and make the
> best of both worlds available?

The gamma curve display in xscanimage is done by gtk. There is an important bug in
theroutine, the quality of the generated gamma table is very bad if the display window is
small.
The gamma table quanitsation is given by the pixels (in x direction) by the window.
Because of that I will not include it into xsane until this is corrected.
May be someone likes to do this!

> 5) When adjusting the scanning parameters using the Histogram or custom gamma
> table, could you add a second image to the scan preview? One showing the current
> preview image before adjustment with the second showing the preview effects of the
> Histogram/gamma table adjustment for direct comparison.

Sounds like a good idea, I will see...

> 6) Should you ever come over here, to British Columbia on the wet coast of Canada,
> please let me know. I want to buy you a few beers! :-)

;-)

> Cheers,
> Rob

Bye