Re: PCMCIA SCSI and SANE (Umax)

Jeff Evarts (jdeassoc@earthlink.net)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:56:36 -0500

Shamim Mohamed wrote:

> Hi, I just unpacked and built SANE 1.00 to use with my laptop running Linux
> (RedHat 5.2). I have a PCMCIA SCSI card which is working just fine.
>
> However:
>
> when I connect the UMAX Astra 1200S, scanimage --lsit-devices does not
> recognise it. Here's my SCSI info:
>
> >ventus cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
> Vendor: UMAX Model: Astra 1200S Rev: V2.9
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: J.02
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> But scanimage doesn't find anything:
>
> >ventus scanimage --list-devices
> device `pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
> device `pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
>
> (Same result running as root, so it's not a permissions issue.) I'm using
> the default sane-umax.conf:
>
> >ventus cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax.conf
> scsi UMAX * Scanner
> scsi LinoHell Office
> /dev/scanner
>
> What am I doing wrong? (Sad to report, I can use the scanner under Win95 on
> this laptop.)

Hmm, I have a similar configuration (RedHat 5.2, UMAX 1200S) and
I'm having no trouble. I assume the compilation and build went
OK?

If so, check these other items:

add saned /etc/group (vi)
add saned /etc/passwd (vipw)
add sane /etc/inetd.conf
chown 666 /dev/sgc
add localhost /usr/local/etc/sane.d/saned.conf

and try again. Good luck. You can email me directly if
it still doesn't come up.

-Jeff

--
-Jeff Evarts