Re: xscanimage won't detect my scanner

Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:45:05 +0100

Jamie Zawinski wrote:

> Well, since there do not seem to be precompiled binary RPMs of SANE
> that plug in to GIMP 1.0.1 on RH 5.2 anywhere in the world, I gave up
> and uninstalled and reinstalled GTK so that there is no trace of
> GTK 1.1 anywhere on my system, and I can build SANE myself
> (meaning I cannot currently compile Mozilla, meaning that once I
> get SANE working, I get to go through this library shuffle all over
> again.)
>
> The problem: xscanimage doesn't notice that my scanner exists.
>
> find-scanner sees it:
>
> find-scanner: found processor "HP C2520A 3503" at device /dev/scanner
> find-scanner: found processor "HP C2520A 3503" at device /dev/sga
>
> the device is readable:
>
> % ll /dev/scanner /dev/sga
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 5 17:42 /dev/scanner -> sga
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 21, 0 Sep 30 22:05 /dev/sga
>
> With an explicit argument, scanimage works (actually scans an image):
>
> scanimage -d hp:/dev/scanner >/dev/null
>
> But xscanimage doesn't detect it, and so the only entries on its
> device menu are the "ppm" devices (whose purpose I still don't fathom.)

Hi Jamie,

what does your file /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf say ?
You might need to remove everything but the line

/dev/scanner

Then try to start

xscanimage hp

and see what happens. If xscanimage does not find the scanner,
you should export SANE_DEBUG_HP=10, start

xscanimage hp > hp.lis 2>&1

exit xscanimage and send the file hp.lis back to me.
You can also update the hp-backend to the current version
which you find on my homepage. This will remove the problem with the
hp.conf file.

--Peter

--
Peter Kirchgessner