Re: Slide-Scanner

Ewald R. de Wit (ewald@pobox.com)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:49:18 +0100

Wolfgang Goeller (wgoeller@active.ch) wrote:

> I'm in the mall for a slide-scanner.
> I will use the scans to produce quality A3-Posters.
> (for American: about double the size of letter-format)
> The information I could gather is listed below together
> with my doubts
> AFAIK supported Scanners are available from
> Mustek - only 1 800 dpi too low resolution.
> In my opinion Mustek is out of consideration.
> I fear in addition Musteks SCSI-oddities.
> HP - 2 400 dpi -
> not too bad, but 2 700 sounds better.
> would 2 400 dpi be sufficient?
> What about the colour-quality?

I have the HP Photosmart which is quite a decent filmscanner. 2400 DPI
is enough to resolve the filmgrain of 100 ASA film and to get really
sharp scans you must have really sharp negatives/ slides (i.e. taken
with 50 ASA or less and a tripod or something). For A3 prints it's
more than sufficient.

Color rendition and gray neutrality are quite good. Overall I could
recommend this scanner as it has the best price/performance ratio.
Don't get the new S20 model though as it has a USB port which is
slower and what's worse it's not supported under SANE.

> AGFA - 2 700 dpi - but the driver is called "ALPHA"
> how stable is it actually??
> can I use it for the mentioned purpose?
> Nikon coolscan - Model 2 (L20) - Model no longer
> in production, no information about coolscan III
> will the driver work with coolscan III (L30)
> to meet my needs?

The Coolscan III is a better filmscanner, but it's also very
expensive. It has a nice automatic dust removal provision (an extra
infra red channel) which is currently however not supported in the
backend.

I don't know about the Mustek and the Agfa.

--
  --  Ewald