Re: SCSI not detected

John Garrison (jeg@visi.net)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:45:20 -0500

Milon Firikis wrote:

> John Garrison wrote:
> >
> > I am having trouble getting linux to detect my scsi card. When my
> > computer boots up it says 'scsi detected 0' or something to that effect,
> > but I do have an scsi card installed. If I do a modprobe of scsi_debug,
> > it finds a non-existent drive everywhere possible. Somebody said the
> > scanner number might be the same as the id number on the controller, so
> > I changed it but nothing still happened. Might I need to change some
> > DIP switches on the SCSI Card? I'm not sure exactly what type of SCSI
> > card I have as it can with the scanner, and I can't find any reference
> > to it in the docs, but I think it is an adaptec, what kind of adaptec I
> > have no idea.
> >
> > Can somebody please help me get my scanner working? I really need it
> > and the linux newgroups haven't be much help getting my SCSI card
> > detected. I'm sure it is something simple I am not doing.
> >

> Maybe you should tell us what scanner do you have. Then some experts in
> this list may know the SCANNER_MODEL --> WHICH_SCSI_CARD combination and
> give you some hints...
>
> MF

It is an Across 3s scanner. This scanner is not on the list, but it
seems to be
a generic company so I'm hoping maybe it is compatible with one on the
list. I
have put in an email to the company hoping that they may tell me what
kind of card
I've got, but don't know if they will as most people just have companies
tell them
they don't support linux.

I just read something on the specifications that doesn't sound good.
The driver that
came with it is called "SmartScan" it says it was built specifically for
this scanner
and SCSI card. It has a second driver called "Art-Scan" and says that
one has to be
used if you install the scanner on an existing Adaptec SCSI card. Does
that mean mine
wouldn't be Adaptec compatible? If this small company made their own
card, I might
never find a driver for it. Although maybe this is good, if the
"Art-scan" works on my
SCSI card as well as Adaptecs, may they are compatible?

Well, this is all the info the specification sheet gives me. I hope it
is helpful.