Re: Acer 310s

Wolfgang Goeller (wgoeller@active.ch)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 08:29:59 +0100

Rick Knight wrote:

> Found one of the problems. I found snapscan patch 5.0-6, applied it

Well, I assumed all the time, that you would use this version - since
only this version contains the patches for the recoginition of the
ACER / VUEGO.

> and rebuilt. Now xscanimage and scanimage do see the scanner but the
> image isn't usable. The top edge starts out ok but then the image goes
> black or is so smeared it looks like a jumble of color.

That's exactly what I've discovered: Since the top edge is okay, their
must be a wide similarity. But it's not a jumble of colours. If you
start with a small b/w stippled pattern or some black lines you will
see, that the forms are "raytraced".

> Any idea where to start with the snapscan module?

Look at the SCSI-Module: Are expected bytes and got bytes identical?
If so: Use a simple pattern and control, from when on the pattern is
not correct. That might give you the amount of correct data.
Then start debugging, why the data gets corrupted.
Is it in the beginning of a line?
Are lines (partly) missing.
Simple test: Use a little white square on black background and a
little black square on white background. Scan the squares with
a little frame. Best: use the edges and give the values vor
length and width not via prescan and xscanimage but with exact
numbers using scanimage. Thus you can better count the amount
of bytes.

Regards
Wolfgang