Re: xsane-saving formats

Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:13:59 -0500

Robert Schwebel wrote:
> Does there really exist a problem with the copyright of the GIF
> compression algorithm? Nearly all programs support GIF today, and I
> think the discussion was over.

It isn't an issue of copyright; it's an issue of software patents, and
currently you *cannot* write a GIF encoder with LZW compression, free
or otherwise, without licensing LZW from Unisys.

> The best thing for xsane was to implement a netpbm interface; it is
> present on nearly all platforms today and you don't have to implement
> all this stuff again.

netpbm is far from universal; none of the commercial UNIX's I use
(IRIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Digital UNIX) include it.

Besides, GIF is hardly a good format for scanned images...