Re: Microtek - Scanner and SCSI - Emulation over EPP

Warren Early (earlyw@sphinx-group.com)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:30:54 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:

> justiny@newsguy.com wrote:
>
> > Err... there is a scsi over parallel port driver for Linux.
> > Check http://www.torque.net/parport/.
> > I believe this is what the folks who are doing the v310p backend are doing.
>
> This driver is very under developement and very not available, unfortunately.
> Grant is busy with "real work" but is focusing efforts specifically on this
> driver. I've offered to help and am awaiting affirmation since last week -
> additional interest is probably welcome, though I don't know that it would have
> any net effect in getting the driver written. mailto:grant@torque.net if you
> would like to help develop the driver, he's the man in the know.
>
> Christopher

Ditto...The Microtek scanners are really SCSI with an on-board
parallel-to-SCSI adapter chip built in to the scanner. The manufacturer is
On-Spec and the chip is the 90c26 series. Whats the current state of
development for that driver? I quote:

"The 90c26 chip from OnSpec Electronics, which the PARIDE suite supports
as a parallel port IDE adapter, also includes an integral SCSI host
adapter. A driver for this device is being worked on, but is not yet
available."