Re: AVA-1505AE and Microtec X6: freeze everything while scanning

Davide Achilli (davide@objsystem.it)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:44:37 +0100

Peter.Knoppers@ct.tudelft.nl wrote:

> I would expect that. I've had a similar experience with an ISA SCSI
> card for burning CD-ROMs at double-speed (300 kB/second). This would
> consume 99% of the CPU-time resulting in extremely poor mouse
> responsiveness. I replaced my SCSI card with a PCI type and since
> then burning a CD-ROM takes only a few percent of the CPU-time and
> the system as a whole remains perfectly responsive.
>
> Conclusion: Copying 300 kB/s to (or from) a SCSI-bus using an ISA
> card is extremely CPU-intensive.

No, in my case this is not true. My system does NOT slow down: it
freezes completely, like having control inside an low level interrupt
handler or something like that.
Mouse is not slow: it does not move at all. Network adapter does not
work (you can not even ping the computer) and nothing else works. Even
hard disk stops doing the usual head-move noises.
This is why I think there is something wrong: I expected a slower
system, but not blocked. This means that every other activity (like
network connections, ISDN connection, fax, etc.) times out.

Bye.