Re: AVA-1505AE and Microtec X6: freeze everything while scanning

Sebastian Erdmann (serdmann@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:18:40 +0100 (MET)

Davide Achilli writes:
[ScanMaker X6 on Linux]
> The most annoying problem is that while it is scanning all system il
> completely freezed: mouse doesn't move, network is locked, etc.
> Is this problem related to the AVA-1505AE controller? Can I solve it
> buying a different SCSI-II controller?

Hi Davide,

this is problem of the AVA-1505AE controller. I have the same scanner
and controller -- my system is largely unusable during a scan, too.
Everything is back to normal once the scan is finished. I tried the
scanner on a NCR 53c810 PCI SCSI controller on the same system with
much better results. The AVA-1505AE doesn't use busmastering,
therefore it eats all available CPU time when active.

Buy a PCI SCSI controller (a cheap one like the NCR 53c810 will do),
and your problem will be gone.

Hope this helps,
Sebastian

--
                                        ___
Sebastian Erdmann                      /