Re: AVA-1505AE and Microtec X6: freeze everything while scanning

Gordon Scott (gordon@apis.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:13:15 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Davide Achilli wrote:

> The most annoying problem is that while it is scanning all system il
> completely freezed: mouse doesn't move, network is locked, etc.
> Is this problem related to the AVA-1505AE controller? Can I solve it
> buying a different SCSI-II controller?

A common cause of these types of lockup is an interrupt conflict.

> I also tried on a different Linux PC with a Tekram DC-390 SCSI-II
> controller, which works under Linux with a Yamaha CD-Writer, but as soon
> as scanning begins, SCSI bus locks up and it is necessary to reset the
> machine.

I believe that some scanners are implicated in SCSI lockups and should
have a controller to themselves.

G.

--
Gordon Scott   gordon@apis.demon.co.uk      gordon@multitone.co.uk (work)