Re: VuegoScan Brisa 610P

Kevin R. Charter (charter@cs.rice.edu)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:26:49 -0600

Steve Hammond wrote:

> If I realy understand there is no way to build a parallel port scanner
> driver under Linux?

It's not that it's technically impossible, just that most manufacturers
have been reluctant to give out programming information for their
parallel port scanners. If documentation isn't available, it's pretty
hard to write a reliable backend. I understand some people have tried
snooping on the parallel port using bundled scanning software under
WINE, but I'm not sure how much success they've had reverse-engineering
the communication between scanner and host. If you look back through
the list archive, you'll be able to find some discussion of this
and related issues.

Kevin

--
Kevin Charter                                            Grad Studies
charter@cs.rice.edu                    Department of Computer Science