Re: SG_BIG_BUFF woes on Linux

Gerald Turner (gturner@retina.net)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:50:25 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Gerald Turner]
> > This works but a better implementation would be to use sysctl() to
> > get the value of sg-big-buff at runtime, better yet fread()
> > /proc/sys/kernel/sg-big-buff.
>
> Why do you think that reading this value from /proc is a better
> implementation then using sysctl(). The POSIX way would probably be
> to use sysconf(), but is there a name for SG_BIG_BUFF defined?

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere in the kernel source that reading /proc
would be better, maybe having something to do with sysctl interface/values
changing. However, I went looking for this and can't seem to find it.

Excuse me, the suggestion was by mistake. Use sysctl(). I just had a
look through <confname.h>, sysconf() doesn't support anything beyond the
POSIX definitions, no SG_BIG_BUFF.

Anyway is this doable? I can't be the only one using a distribution and
modifying SG_BIG_BUFF (I do it to also improve cdda audio ripping
performance)...

Gerald Turner
http://www.retina.net/~gturner/