Re: Regular Crashes with Sane, HP3C and Promise SCSI-Card on Linux

Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Tue, 05 Jan 1999 07:44:26 +0100

"Marc Roman Wäckerlin" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> There are regulary complete system crashes when using scanimage or
> xscanimage with my HP3C scanner on a Promise Technology SCSI card
> driven by NCR53C8XX (BSD) driver.
>
> The larger the image is, the more often the crash occurs, i think.
>
> A complete system crash means that nothing at all works any more:
> - ctrl-alt-back does not work
> - cursor does not move anymore
> - ping to this machine gets no more answer
> - ...
> The only way to get aout is a hard reset :-(.
>
> Unfortunately i see no chance to scan any image without this high
> risk.
>
> Today i upgraded sane from an older release (0.75 or so) to 1.0 and it
> still crashes.
>
> Any idea, help, workaround?
>
> Thank you
> regards
> Marc

Hi,

please try to download version 0.72 of the hp-backend from
http://www.kirchgessner.net along with another patch available
on that page. The backend has a bug-fix which caused
a segmentation fault.
But I am quite sure that this does not solve the problem.
scanimage and xscanimage are application programs which should
never cause the system to crash. The program make crash itself.
But if the system crashes, it might be a problem with the systems
SCSI driver.

--Peter

--
Peter Kirchgessner