Re: TWAIN - SANE interface : announce

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:28:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Andre Couture wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I got it, but having problmes with the artec backend.
>
> It seem that the BRIGHTNESS and some other options are not always supported
> by some backends.
> I think that, if the options are left to '0' you should not try to set them.
> I've experimented with "bypassing" the BRIGHTNESS from the backend and works
> better.
> But that sould be changed from the "frontend" which in this case is TWAIN.

If the artec backend reports an option "BRIGHTNESS", but when you set it,
falls over or does something stupid, then it is broken. If the TWAIN
frontend, which I've yet to test, puts lots of options up regardless of
whether they are offered by the backend, then it is broken. However, the
SANE specification doesn't say "If you receive weird option specifiers,
please crash and burn", so the backend should handle it gracefully anyway.

I'm not sure which is the case here, but it sounds like (again) backends
aren't sticking to SANE. Does someone else know?

Nick.