Re: Silly noises instead of an Image

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:11:03 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Uwe Maier wrote:

> anything
> >>
> >> I think that this isn't a solution!
> >> Or I could say: Change the OS and buy M$ in order to have whatever you
> want to!
> >> I think that some people have used both the scanner and the scsi interface
> >> card I'm using and they have used it right! What did they do? Is it so
> >> difficult to describe??????
> >
> >You can think all you want. But the answer is a clear indication of the
> >opposite. The card seems to be failure if used with SANE.
>
> Sorry, but that's not true. The card works well - for having no interrupt
> line. I'm
> using it with a Mustek 1200SP revision 1.05. My PC (P-133, 64 MB,
> 2940UW-SCSI too,
> 2.0.29-2.0.36 Kernels) does also some samba serving and I must admit that
> the whole
> system slows down very much when scanning (compared to a total system
> freeze on M$
> this is really a step ahead). Nevertheless it's at least good for two or
> three scans
> a day (b/w for faxing). And since SANE 1.0 is out it also works with color
> (great work btw).
> It's surely a better solution to exchange the scanner card but if you've
> got enough
> time to waste you can use it. It would have been nice to enable the
> interrupt but the
> adapter is then unusable for M$. And to be honest, who of us is lucky
> enough to be
> able to ignore M$?

Well. Your systems slows significantly down while you are scanning. But
what if you don't have a Pentium system? The original poster does not have
a Pentium but a 486. Then the things becomes really annoying.

But in general a card without interrupts is too much pain for actions like
this. Getting a real SCSI card can save you lot's of valuable time.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |