Re: SANE sees only 1 of 2 scanners

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 23:03:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, John Stoffel wrote:

> John> Hello - I'm running SANE-0.74 in a Linux 2.0.35 environment. I
> John> have a simple Adaptec aha1502e (no ROM) SCIS card which has
> John> worked well with a single HP4p scanner. I added a 2nd scanner,
> John> HP PhotoSmart, daisy chained and terminated beyond the
> John> original. 'Find-scanner' detects it properly, 'xscanimage'
> John> offers it as a source, but then actually tries to scan (not very
> John> successfully) on the 4p. I have the same results from GIMP.
>
> John> The original HP4p is at SCSI 00, LUN 01. The new PhotoSmart is
> John> at SCSI 00, LUN 02.
>
> I'd say that the problem is almost certainly right here. Try moving
> the PhotoSmart to an entirely different SCSI id if you can, then see
> how well it works. Using LUNs has always been a sorta black art on
> SCSI buses and I'm personally not sure if Linux has it right. I'm
> actually surprised it's having problems, but alot of software out
> there just assumes you're using LUN 0 with an ID.

Well I have a device that is a combined MO/CD drive and it uses two LUN's
for that. So far it works just great.

But wether SANE can handle LUN's as well is something I can't tell.

Hugo.

        | Hugo van der Kooij     | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl   |
        | 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |