Re: Sane1.0 SOLARIS2.6

Martin Huber (hu@garfield.m.isar.de)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:34:06 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Wolfgang Cohrs wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > i have installed sane1.0 on SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-03 sun4u sparc
> > SUNW,Ultra-1System = SunOS.
> > find-scanner: found scanner "APPLE SCANNER II 2.04" at device /dev/scg0b
> > give this output.
> > as root "scanimage -d apple:/dev/scg0b > test " is ok
> > as a normal user i have this error
> > scanimage: open of device apple:/dev/scg0b failed: Invalid argument
>
> sane 1.0 does not work out of the box.
>
> There is a patch available that won't patch but if you fix the changes
> manually you seem to get a working setup.

Since Wolfgang Cohrs can scan as root, it is a permission problem.
/dev/scg0 is read/write by root only as default, and it is dangerous to
change this (see README.Solaris).

The problem you mentioned is the alignment bug fixed by the IRIX patch
by Michael Sweet.

I use Solaris 2.6 on an x86 platform, which does not have the alignment
problem like the sparc architecture. That is the reason why sane-1.0
worked for me -after removing the dc and the abaton backends from the
Makefile) without any patch and I was not able to find out why your HP
backend crashed.

--martin