Re: Difference between 2 distro of Linux :(

Kevin R. Charter (charter@cs.rice.edu)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 00:07:47 -0600

Thomas Nemeth wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an old Slackware with gimp-1.0.0 and sane-0.74
> and a Snapscan 310 AGFA scanner : the whole thing works
> perfectly :)
>
> Recently I have installed the new debian 2.0, but instead
> of using the .deb packages (which don't install programs
> in /usr/local) I compiled sane-1.0.0 but it didn't work :(
>
> Here are the systems settings :
> - kernel 2.0.33 (compiled with generic scsi device)
> - /dev/sga created by MAKEDEV
> - GTK 1.0.4
> - gcc 2.7.2.3
> - aha1505 scsi card (for the 1st card, 2nd is Tekram DC390F)
>
> Symptom :
> scanimage/xscanimage can't recognise -d snapscan:/dev/sga
> but only pnm:0 and pnm:1 :(
> (The scanner is recongised at boot, as well as the scsi card)
>
> Have you got any idea for solving my problem ???

The move to sane-1.00 has uncovered a mysterious bug in the snapscan
backend. I'm in the process of tracking down the error now and
hope to have the backend working properly with the package in the
next couple of days. My sincere apologies, everyone. The release of
sane 1.00 came at a bad time for me and I didn't give the snapscan
backend the proper testing it should have gotten.

When I get it fixed I'll make a patched backend available.

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Kevin Charter                                            Grad Studies
charter@cs.rice.edu                    Department of Computer Science