Re: Kodak dc210

Miles Lott (milos@insync.net)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 00:40:58 +0000

Viljo Hakala wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Miles Lott wrote:
> > I can load pictures from the camera just fine using latest SANE 1.0.
> > However, I can only do this as root. A regular user has access only to
> > list the devices and get thumbnails using gimp plugin.
> What if this is just a permission problem with the serial device?
> Include yourself to the device's group, and give write and read access for
> the group (chmod g+rw /dev/ttySX, where X is your serial port).
>
> If it still doesn't work, the problem is elsewhere (could be perms
> somewhere else), or also in the kernel itself (hardly to be the case
> here)..

I doubt the problem is with serial device perms, since it will scan
thumbnails
and ppp and other apps work fine on the same port. The perms are
root.root, as
is the def in inetd.conf.

Another note: The xscanimage util uses as much as 98% CPU when
attempting to scan
from the camera, and the scan dialog just sits there. pnm seems to
work.