Re: Newbie questions concerning Apple Color OneScanner

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:02:07 +0200

hamster@indy.nmt.edu wrote:

> Hello! I have recently aquired an Apple Color OneScanner from an auction,
> as well as a Sun SPARCstation 2, running Solaris 2.5.1. Strangley enough,
> these two seem to work pretty well. I downloaded the sane-1.00 tarball
> and compiled it. It compiled fine, so i tried it out. It will scan
> Gray16 just fine, but it doesnt seem to quite work right under the other
> modes. What happens is this:
>
> under xscanimage:
>
> Lineart: it scans, then xscanimage just ups and dies.
> BiColor: the scanner completes an entire scan, but only a tiny bit of it
> is downloaded to the computer
> Color: it scans the Red data infinatly (that is, it scans red over and
> over and over and never moves on)
>
> under scanimage:
>
> Lineart: it gets a image, but it is totaly skewed
> BiColor: it Aborts and core dumps but the scanner scans anyway, and it
> also returns and error of failied assertion `param.depth ==8`
> Color: same as the above

LineArt ,Halftone, Gray16, Gray256 should be the modes where the
scanning is possible. BiColor and Color is out of the question.

> Lots of stuff eh? Well, my question is simply if there is anyone using
> the apple backend with this scanner that is getting everything to work
> ok?

Nop. Nobody as far as I know. In Lineart modes I had some reports for
skewed images and in Lineart mode, and for reversed images in gray*.

>From reading through the mailing archives, i see there is a very
> small group of people who use this scanner. If i can help to add to the
> backend for this scanner, i'll try to.

Excellent. Give it a try...

> I appreciate any help on this matter.

You have to start with the docs. The docs for all the apple scanners are
downloadable by the apple site. The exact location is on the sane-apple
man page. This is also a slick way to tell you "read the man page"

> Thanks!

You are welcome...

Milon Firikis.