Re: forwarded message from Richard Stallman

hank (hank@black-hole.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:17:29 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Does anyone who contributed to SANE have reservations against SANE
> becoming a GNU program? I think making SANE a GNU program would be
> beneficial to both parties (SANE developers & FSF).

I've not contributed to SANE myself (yet, I hope to get a backend working
soon if noone beats me to it, but work is not progressing) but let me
suggest the following:

Parts GNU, parts something else. That is I don't think anyone would have
a problem with a Backend being GNU. I would like to see a useable
implimention that can be distributed anouther way. Perhaps a artistic or
BSD style license as an alternative, but just applying to peices.

What I'm trying to propose is that assuming someday we have a working MAC
and Windows frontend, a manufacture can take our stuff, compile a backend
for their new scanner, put their name on it (with credit to us in the
about box) and ship drivers for all operating systems easially. If our
backend is good enough, it would save them significant effort, while also
giving them the ability to put "Network compatable" on the box.

Again, let me remind people that the protcol already follows this model,
I'd like to see the option of including some code. For the backends it
really isn't a big deal since each backend is by nature different. For
the frontends and middleware, it would help SANE get accepted as a
standard to allow it to be this easially sold.

--
      http://blugill.home.ml.org/
      hank@black-hole.com