Re: Mustek 1200 III EP?

Dr. Andreas Bolsch (a.bolsch@ic.ac.uk)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:28:42 +0000

"J. Rhett Aultman" wrote:

> When I called Mustek asking if they had any UNIX drivers of any kind, the
> tech rep said "no, but there's been some discussion

The tech staff is probably not allowed to disclose
any technical information. So, address yourself
to the marketing department (Linux has become very
popular recently, so you may sell much more units if
they'd been usable with Linux, and all you have to
do is to send us the docs ...). See www.mustek.com.tw
for their email address.

This worked for me some months ago for the SCSI
scanners.

> I did have a thought, however...since it goes in my printer's parallel
> port, the process of reading from it can't be too different than the
> process of writing to it (i.e. to send out to the printer), right?

Well, yes, and from the docs for the SCSI models
I would suspect that the 1200 III EP uses uses the
same command set as the ScanExpress 6000SP/12000SP.

The point is just how the scanner knows that data
on the data lines is intended for itself, not for
the printer, and how direction of data flow and
distinction of data/commands is done.