Re: Minolta QuickScan35

David Rose (drose@wdi.disney.com)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:58:12 -0800

Mathias Koerber writes:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Andreas Schrell wrote:
> | is there any information on using a QuickScan35 (Minolta) with SANE?
>
> Forget it, I asked Minolta several times for specs on my
> Dimage Scan Dual. I would NOT RECOMMEND Minolta products.

Although I perhaps wouldn't go so far as to say it four times over, I
do tend to agree. I bought a QuickScan35 several months ago and wrote
several letters and e-mail to Minolta about getting some technical
documents. Every one has so far been simply ignored.

Minolta has thus far left a strong impression as a company that simply
does not care about its customers or supporting its products once they
have gone to market. Their technical support department seems
woefully understaffed--when I had a technical problem with my scanner,
there seemed to be only one person there who knew enough to be able to
diagnose it, and he was constantly out; it took weeks before he was
finally able to solve my problem.

Minolta has never answered a letter or e-mail from me, and they always
seem too busy to talk to me when I telephone.

I have learned my lesson. I consider the Windows drivers for the
QuickScan35 to be too broken to be useful for more than casual
snapshots, and Minolta is clearly uninterested in releasing any kind
of technical specs to help someone write another driver. As far as
I'm concerned, my scanner purchase was just a very bad investment.
This is the last piece of hardware I will buy without first checking
Linux compatibility and/or openness of protocol.

David