Re: how to make net scanner appear in xscanimage?

olberg@oso.chalmers.se
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:22:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Ray Curtis wrote:

> My line from a RedHat-5.1 system reads:
>
> sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.identd saned
>
> identd is a daemon that listens for connections on sockets.
> This is the redhat method.
>
> With the server word changed to my server with this I get a popup with
> the line:
>
> failed to open device: Error during device I/O
>
> I also see an entry in the server log file:
>
> Oct 15 14:07:13 ray saned[7609]: access by
> saned-user@picard.ray.clark.net rejected
>
> Now this works fine from the server, just not the client machine.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions, much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Ray,

The only difference to my setup is the use of /usr/bin/in.identd rather
than /usr/sbin/tcpd. As I don't know which files control the access for
the first one, I suggest you try it with tcpd and edit your
/etc/hosts.allow file to explicitly say

saned : picard.ray.clark.net

or alternatively

ALL : ALL

if you really want to be sure the service is allowed for your client.
Are you sure you didn't get a 'rejected' message when you access the port
via telnet? That could mean that the service is requested by different
users depending if you try telnet vs. xscanimage, and that these users
have different access rights. But why and how?

Sorry for not being able to help more at this stage.
Michael