Re: saned - Problem found

Matto Marjanovic (maddog@mir.com)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:47:10 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:23:05 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>
>OK, I'm listening, what is a better solution?
>I have a group called 'sys':
>[root@home /etc]# grep sys group
>sys::3:root,bin,adm
>
>Should I run the scanner as nobody.sys? Then I could remove the
>permissions for the world from /dev/sga, as the group is sys.

Groups are there so that you can partition users into different classes
of authority and privilege. For example:

o Create a new group called "scanner", and put yourself in it (along
with any scanning buddies).

o Create a new system user (i.e. passwd entry without any home
directories, etc.) called "scanner", and put it in the scanner
group as well.

o Change the owner.group of your /dev/sga to "scanner.scanner",
and the permissions to owner and group rw only.

o Run saned as scanner.scanner..

If you need more info on creating groups, etc., read your RedHat docs.
If it's not in there, then they are not doing their jobs.

-matt m.