Re: can the HP Photosmart scanner scsi card work, or do I need to use a supported scsi card

Chris Niekel (chris@mimar.demon.nl)
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:34:38 +0200

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 05:03:11PM -0600, Craig Ruff wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 03:07:01PM -0700, Peter Tiemeyer wrote:
> > Are those that have gotten the photosmart scanner to work plugging it into
> > some other scsi card that they've installed, or can someone give me pointers
> > on making sane and linux recognize the card that ships with the photosmart.
>
> The card is a Symbios Logic 53416A ISA PNP card (non-bootable).
>
> Comments in the SCSI drivers leads me to believe that
> the NCR5380 driver is the appropriate one to use.

I've tried that driver, and also every other driver that mentions ncr or
symbios. None worked. On dejanews I found someone with the same problem,
and he neither got it to work. I did get the isa-pnp stuff working, but
not a device driver. After reading other threads on dejanews I discovered
that the scsi controller was too slow for harddisks, couldn't handle more
than one scsi adapter, so I spent 90 guilders ($50) for a ncr810 scsi card.

If you decide to buy another scsi card, make sure you buy an active
terminator also. The 53416A doesn't need a terminator (too slow I think),
but every other scsi adapter _does_ need it.

Greetings,
Chris Niekel

--
Geek code version 3.1:
GCS d- s++:+ a- C++$ ULSI++ P+(---) L+++>++++ E--- W++ N++ o K? w--- O M-