Re: can the HP Photosmart scanner scsi card work, or do I need to use a supported scsi card

Craig Ruff (crruff@uswest.net)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:03:11 -0600

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 03:07:01PM -0700, Peter Tiemeyer wrote:
> Are those that have gotten the photosmart scanner to work plugging it into
> some other scsi card that they've installed, or can someone give me pointers
> on making sane and linux recognize the card that ships with the photosmart.

I'm using my PhotoSmart scanner on the built-in Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller
in my system. I looked into using the card that came with the scanner
and came to these tenative conclusions:

The card is a Symbios Logic 53416A ISA PNP card (non-bootable).

Comments in the SCSI drivers leads me to believe that
the NCR5380 driver is the appropriate one to use.

You may need to figure out a PNP configuration for it.

I haven't yet tested my conclusions.