Re: How to build a db25 terminator

John M. Mills (jmills@jmills.gtri.gatech.edu)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 11:09:42 -0400 (EDT)

I checked an old SCSI reference and found the following:
1) the given schematic is correct for single-ended SCSI termination, but
not for differential. For differential, they suggest:

Vcc (+5.0 nominal)

\
/ 330 ohm
/
\

-Signal ---+

\
/ 150 ohm
/
\

+ Signal ---+

\
/ 330 ohm
/
\

GND (0.0 v. nominal)

2. The signal table seems correct for differential 50-pin, but that was
not the same as single-ended 50 pin for at least some signals.

3. My manual had no information on other configurations.

I will look at the information which came with my SCSI card and my scanner
to see if they confirm and/or extend this. I have no reason to expect the
low-speed SCSI interface at my card or scanner are differential; my
aha1502e card uses the same DB-25 configuration as the Symbios P'n'P which
came with the HP 4p scanner, and the scanner uses a 50-pin configuration.
(My scanner includes a switch for internal termination, so I never worried
about this. Our Suns use submini DB-50 connectors and Sun provides a
terminator to plug in at the end of the chain. I have no descriptions of
these - sorry.)

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills@gtri.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
"The cardinal virtues of a programmer are Laziness,
Impatience, and Hubris." -- attr. Larry Wall