Re: scanimage lineart bugreport (fwd) -- SnapScan backend

Kevin R. Charter (charter@cs.ualberta.ca)
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 14:08:01 -0600

becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> Hi Maik, hi folks.
>
> Maik: I have translated your message and forwarded to the SANE mailing list,
> as I am not familiar with the AGFA driver.
>
> > I have bought a scanner - type agfa 310. It works well, sane compiled
> > without errors, ...
> >
> > However the lineart mode does not produce a useable result.
> > xv says "data truncated" - it seems this is not a pbm/pgm/ppm file.
> >
> > [ he sent me an attachment from a small scan acquired with:
> > scanimage -x 60 -y 60 --resolution 100 --mode LineArt > line.pnm
> > I've cut it out to save list bandwidth. People interested in helping
> > him, please ask him for it. I'll analyze the file myself, too, as soon
> > as I get that somewhat strange MIME encoding unpacked.]

Unfortunately, our support for the 310 is a little incomplete, and the
major
problems seem to be in the lineart mode. The backend was originally
designed
for the 300, and some changes were contributed by Emmanuel Blot (his
address
should be in the source, or else look at
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~charter/snapscan.html). I haven't had a lot
of time
to work on this in the past several months, but Emmanuel may have solved
the
lineart problems. I'll try to look over the 310 docs and see if I can
guess
the problem, but I can't test any modifications I make, and I can't
promise
I would get this done soon.

More generally, I'm finally back in touch with the list, and have a new
email
address (charter@cs.rice.edu). The snapscan homepage will remain at its
current location for a while; it's accessible through both
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~charter and http://www.cs.rice.edu/~charter.
If anybody
has had SnapScan-related questions stored up over the last couple of
weeks,
please send them along.

Kevin

--
Kevin Charter                                             Grad Student
charter@cs.rice.edu                     Department of Computer Science