Re: Mustek 600 II N updates + file ownerships

Christian Bucher (cbucher@vernetzt.at)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:44:36 +0200

Christoph Doerbeck wrote:

> > * Christoph Doerbeck
> > | Why on earth would you want to run xscanimage setuid root? This is an
> > | aweful practice in my opinion. Why not just set read/write permissions
> > | on the /dev/device?
> > |
> > | Am I missing something?
> >
> > the mustek 600 ii havent got a driver in the kernel, and thus no
> > device. it hits the hardware directly.
> >

> Ahhhh... I knew there had to be an SANE answer! Get it? It's a joke son!
>
> - Christoph

no joke, trust me. Itīs the same with the epson parallel interface.
There would be some other possibilities. Basically they need the same
code you use for direct hardware access, but

.) writing a device driver

- a device driver has kernel permissions, you need probably an own
installation
to test it and you'll have a lot of experience in re-install
afterwards.

- a device driver differ for different Unix's.

.) using the /dev/port device

- cool, but for all the Unixīs without /dev/port itīll not work
(is there anyone beside Linux?).

also there are several other points you will run into the root problem,
if I remember
right youīve to be root anyway to write, for example, to the SCO generic
scsi device.

I think itīs still the better possibility to use the sbit and setuid
than run the whole
stuff (also gimp if you use sane as pluggin) as root. Any suggestions?

christian