Re: Mustek 600 II N updates + file ownerships

Jon Wikne (wikne@lynx.uio.no)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:05:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 Andreas Czechanowski (m075@ins.uni-stuttgart.de) wrote:

> With my firmware (labelled "2.00" but surely older than the "1.xx"
> that most other people have), the color correction works fine
> (with line-distance-fix enabled). Possibly, another subdivision
> and case handling will be necessary here :-(. So Please, if
> anyone with a 600 II N reads this:
>
> --> Can anybody with a 600 II N with Firmware version 1.xx <--
> --> send me a binary image of the EPROM in the scanner ? <--
> --> So I could try both versions in my scanner. Thanks ! <--

I have taken the EPROM out of my scanner (risking the warranty ;-)
and grabbed version 1.01. I will send it to you directly as an
attachment to a separate mail. (Posting it here hogs bandwidth
quite unnecessarily, and would probably be in violation of someone's
copyright anyway! :-)

> > Another thing: When using xscanimage with suid root to get access
> > to the port, it seems that file ownership for the output files created
> > also defaults to root. This is sometimes annoying, although not serious.
>
> Is it still the case with 0.74 ?

Yes.

> may be I have missed to set the mode 4755 before doing this...

What I did notice is that the _gid_ was set to the one of the user
invoking the process. The _uid_, on the other hand, was still root.
I'm not sure what might have gone worng.

> - or are the ioperm()'s that were set before still valid ?

I don't know the details of these calls, and "man ioperm" gives no
clue. Trying is probably the easiest way to find out....

Cheers,
-- Jon