Re: UMAX Astra 1220S, 0.74 seems to be dead

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:54:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Werner Arnhold wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> .
> .
> .
> > >
> > > Which backends and which config file do you mean? The *.conf in
> > > /usr/local/etc/sane.d? The backends in the /usr/local/lib/sane dir? Or one
> > > of the config.* in the main source dir? Or something different?
> >
> > I would say it is rather obvious that if I refer to removing backends from
> > the config file (note: I mention it is 1 file) you should not be removing
> > libraries.
> >
> > And as we speak of a RPM file we are not referring to sources which will
> > only leave the sane.conf file in /etc/sane.d
>
> I beg your pardon, your answer doesn't help me. Maybe it is because you
> speak of a RPM file. I got the sources from "sane-0.74.tar.gz", compiled
> them and made a "make install". So I have no dir /etc/sane.d but
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d with 18 files in it, but none named sane.conf, only
> saned.conf. With this way every backend is made.

Both names were used lately and as the tempature makes it too unpleasant
to have my development systems running I could not verify all of it by
hand.

> I never used a RPM file. I compiled 0.73 and it worked fine
> with a HP ScanJet 4p, but not with Astra, so I tried the next version.

Well. If you break in a thread over RPM installation and you change the
subject without telling you are bound to get unusable answers.

> > PS: This could be gathered as well from browsing a bit through the archive
> > as this is a rather common problem.
>
> Could you please give me a hint where this archive is to be found (an URL?)
> I follow this mailing list for some time but cannot remember having seen
> something like this. But maybe I dont't read it good enough.

<insert drumroll here ...>

For this ocasion I did not remove this tagline from my reply so I would
expect this to be rather obvious.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |