Re: Re :- Primax 9600 Direct support

Artur Rataj (art@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:13:02 +0200 (METDST)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Dave Restall - System Administrator wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Artur Rataj wrote :-
>
> > I've asked Primax technical support about protocol specification of the
> > Primax 9600D scanners, and they have told me that they do not release any
> > such documents, and only that the scanner is compatible with Plustek Optic
> > Pro 9630P. I want to write the driver for the 9600D scanner, however I
> > wonder now, from where can I get the needed info. Maybe someone on the
> > list has the info about one of these scanners? Or, could you tell me from
> > where such info is usually available? And, maybe do you plan to support
> > the Plustek 9630P scanners?
>
> These scanners have the same model number as those produced by Pacific
> Image Electronics Inc. I'm currently going through the mill with them
> for the technical documentation for the scanners. I will start writing
> the drivers when I've got all the info. I would be very interested in
> seeing whether Primax scanners return the same ID information as my PIE
> device. My scanner is rebadged as "Black Widow" and its model number
> 9630SP. When it's connected to the SCSI bus and I reboot my Linux box,
> I get the following lines in /var/log/messages :-
>
> ... basil kernel: Vendor: PIE Model: ScanAce II Rev: 2.21
>
> ... basil kernel: Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> Do you get anything like this ?
>
> When I've finally got the legal details sorted out, (I've got an NDA to
> sign) then anybody should be able to get the same details from PIE and
> develop their own drivers, providing they sign the NDA.
>
> It's a slow job at the moment because of other commitments but I will
> get there :-)

Primax 9600D is connected via paraller port, so I do not get any messages
about it while Linux starts.

Maybe, if Primax told me their 9600D scanners are compatible with that
model of Plustek, there is something like a standarized language
available somewhere, or these models use the same chip type?

I'll try yet to ask Plustek for some info.

Artur Rataj
art@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl