Re: [long] Overall usage impressions

Andreas Tille (tille@physik.uni-halle.de)
Mon, 25 May 1998 21:51:40 +0200 (METDST)

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

> I'm now happily scanning medium format transparencies on my 1200s (Velvia
> and Astia if it makes a difference, though the Velvia needs some color
> balance correction to look like Velvia, it scans well, my 35mm slides are
> the new E200, and I can't wait for it in 120). The gamma value I tend to use
> is between 1.6 and 1.8. I am also happily scanning 35mm transparencies, which
> I wasn't sure would work.
I've seen a Canoscan slidescanner under W$. The interface had a menu item
to select different Filmbrands and Types to get best results with them.

I think we could implement such a feature if someone who found out some
good Gamma corrections for his favourite films would send them to the
development team so that they can collect values vor different films.
This would enhance the usability of slidescanners (slide extensions at
flat scanners).

This is only a suggestion from a new SANE user. Unfortunately I'm not
so familiar with the SANE project that I can say something about the
realisation. Could someone comment this proposal whether it is realistic
or not?

Regards

Andreas.