Re: [patch] 0.72 sane-dll.so changes...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= (mikko@securitydynamics.com)
Tue, 12 May 1998 14:27:33 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 11 May 1998, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> [...]

[...]

> Michael> I'm not sure how things are changing for the next release,
> Michael> but "for the record", I recommend using a DSO directory
> Michael> separate from /usr/local/lib for the back-end DSOs.
> Michael> dlopen() doesn't care *what* extension is on the end of the
> Michael> filename, so we can use the backend name (mustek, hp, etc)
> Michael> as the filename and not muck with this stuff.

I agree.

> Well, dlopen() doesn't care, but we need to make sure we're
> dlopen()ing the _right_ version if there are multiple versions. The
> idea of using the .la file is so this version can be done right (and
> in a portable fashion). But alas, the current implementation doesn't
> get versioning quite right either because only one .la file is
> installed at any given time. Maybe what should be done is to install
> a .la file with .la.$(V_MAJOR) instead where V_MAJOR is the major
> revision number of the shared library. Tested patches for something
> like this would be welcome.
>
> BTW: the next release has the SANE shared libs installed in
> subdirectory called "sane", so this part of the problem will be gone.
>
> --david

How about doing what several other packages do (emacs and ghostscript
come to mind) -- use one subdirectory per version for really
version-specific stuff. Then the "dll"s would go into

$(WHEREVER)/sane/0.73/

whereas less critical files, or backwards compatible ones, end up in

$(WHEREVER)/sane/

[obviously, then you cannot have files that look like version numbers:-)]

Makes it fairly easy to clean out old versions too.

Just my $.02,
/Mikko

Mikko Tyo"la"ja"rvi________________________________mikko@securitydynamics.com
SecurityDynamics