Re: [umax] Can't use 10-bit scan: "preview cannot handle depth 16"

Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Thu, 07 May 1998 19:29:52 -0400

Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE wrote:
> As far as I know the 32bit mod of the PC-graphic-cards is a
> mode where the 3 of 4 bytes are used for 24-bit-rgb and the
> 4.th byte isn't used. It is easyer and faster to use 4 bytes per pixel
> instead of 3 bytes per pixel. It is not a mode where 32 bits are
> available for color-information.

I know that at least some of the current OpenGL-capable PC graphics
cards support real 32-bit color information in a variety of
configurations (RGBA = 8:8:8:8, 10:10:10:2, etc.) As to whether the
current Linux drivers support these cards, I don't know.