Re: Info Request: UMAX Astra 1200S

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Sun, 3 May 1998 20:22:42 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Jim Ford wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 1998 Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE wrote:
>
> > You know that the scsi-card delivered with the scanner is not supported
> > by linux? I suggest you get a NCR/SymbiosLogic 8XX Card, that is
> > support fine! If you do so, use the NCR-BSD-8XX-Driver!
>
> Any particular reason for the NCR card as against any other - I've got an
> AHA1542 for instance which I'm thinking of using?

If you need to buy one then the 810 is the best bang for the buck. If you
have a good one then use it. But ANY ISA card can only handle 2MB/s due to
the ISA bus design limitations. And I am not that fond of adaptec cards.
(And not just because adaptec is rather anti GPL minded.)

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |