Re: Sane Compile dies at umax.c

Peter JD Hall (phall@ilap.com)
Sun, 03 May 1998 12:15:47 -0400

TomStuJed wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've tried to compile 0.72 and 0.71 and both won't
> completely finish.
>
> With 0.72 make dies at umax.c with and error type 1
>
> umax.c: In function 'init_options':
> umax.c:3686: virtual memory exhausted
> make[1]: *** [umax.lo] Error 1
> make{1}: Leaving directory '/root/sane-0.72/backend/
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> I assure you I have memory free when compiling....
>
> I closed nearly everything and re-tried compiling...
>
> I've even compiled the Gimp with less ram....
> (it's hovering around 50MB of ram free)
>
> I'm trying to compile on a Cyrix PR200 with 80MB
> of ram, using Linux 2.0.30
>
> Suggestions?
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Yes, this is some sort of problem with Slackware. You have to turn
down the optimization flag.
Try <CFLAGS -g01 ./configure. Hans Fairchild said that with 64 MB of ram
and 100 MB swap file he compiled OK. Rather drole sense of humour. What
the actual cause of this problem is I do not know. David suggested
compiling without optimization which also worked for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Peter Hall