Re: DTC436e SCSI & ScanExpress & other Mustek-Scanner command-sets

Jan Krueger (yesno@bln.de)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:00:52 +0200

Dr. Andreas Bolsch wrote:

> This card seems to work with the g_NCR5380 driver (but only with
> the mustek patch supplied in the same directory as SANE itself.
> You have to supply some additional parameters, for using as a module
> 'modprobe g_NCR5380 ncr_addr=0x280 ncr_irq=255 dtc_3181e=1' works
> for me.
>
> At first I thought there is some trouble with the driver since my
> scanner (ScanExpress 12000SP) doesn't work with the mustek
> backend. But yours should work.
>
> But now I've made some progress, it seems that the scanner's
> SCSI implementation is *very* crippled, even after totally weird
> commands the scanner never sends any error code at all.
> Only INQUIRY worked first, but according to David's hint I am
> trying SCSI-II commands, and --- what a surprise --- something
> happens. After SET_WINDOW and SCAN the slide moves slightly
> forward, and back to the home position after closing the device.
>
> And READ produces some noise like moving the slide back and forth
> a few scanlines, perhaps continuous backtracking because the
> scanner can't get rid of the data. Unfortunately, the SCSI-II
> standard isn't very precise concerning how to specify the
> amount of data to be transferred. I don't know what the 'blocksize'
> actually is.
Hi,

i tried to get docs about Scanexpress 12000 SP from mustek-germany but,
well, some aliens disturbed the connection, for obvius reasons.
So i called the responsible person today, 5 minutes ago, and he, well,
soon we got the right command-set, soon means today according to what
he said.

He also told me that the SEX 12KSP is not fully SCSI 2 SGC compliant.

Feel free to tell me what more command-sets of other mustek-scanners
you might need, i try to get them.

Also i try to create a page with all those SCSI 2 SGC Commands and so
on.

Happy hacking
Jan