Re: Linux Sense buffer (was: sane 0.71 and microtek E3)

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:31:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 1998 at 09:25:59PM -0800, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> >Try a Mustek scanner for example. HP scanners are much better behaved
> >than most of the el-cheapo scanners. E.g., with my Mustek scanner,
>
> Point taken... I got a MicroTek E3 here to play around with since so
> many folks seem to like them. They are indeed cheap, but I really am
> not impressed with them (after using thousand dollar scanners for 4
> years -- I wonder why :-).
>
> >128KB kernel buffer. The real problem is that the Linux kernel
> >doesn't allow to determine what the limit is. I'll see whether we
> >could have that fixed for Linux 2.2.
>
> Back when I was trying to solve that problem, I was actually going to write
> code to try to look in the kernel source directories and see. You can also
> take the easy way out and default to 32K unless the user says they've
> increased it (X resource, env variable, etc)... The ultimate way
> would be to read the kernel, but...

Isn't there an easy way to read these settings via the /proc filesystem? I
know some other systems use that to obtain settings from the kernel. It
would however work only for those systems that do support the /proc
filesystem. (Solaris and Linux are the only ones I know of.)

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |