Re: New HP backend

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 16:38:18 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Pkirchg wrote:

> the newhp-backend of Geoffrey T. Dairiki is now available in a
> modified version. Support for the HP Photosmart Photoscanner has
> been added. Geoffrey acknowledged further work on his backend
> as long as noone has to pay for the code. I think the usual
> licence notices in the current hp-backend will do that.
> Therefore these notices have also been added to his sources.
>
> Please see
>
> http://members.aol.com/pkirchg
>
> or
>
> ftp://members.aol.com/pkirchg/pub/sane
>
> for more information. Sources and a patch for the configure and
> makefiles of SANE 0.71 are available there.
> After installation you will have a new backend called xhp.
> Please test the backend with different HP-scanners.
>
> Enhancements against the hp-backend:
> - Selectable options depend on active scanner model
> - Custom gamma table
> - options to select color matrix / scan speed / smoothing / calibration
> mirroring

Well I ran into some problems using it if I play with some setting. The
result is this error message:

Whe selecting the Color Matrix:

** WARNING **: file gtkobject.c: line 1083 (gtk_object_get_data_by_id): "GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)"
** WARNING **: file gtksignal.c: line 1043 (gtk_signal_real_emit): "gtk_type_is_ a (GTK_OBJECT_TYPE (object), signal->info.object_type)"

And then it bails out.

Environment:

Digital XL-300 (Alpha) with 64 MB RAM
HP ScanJet 5p
RedHat Linux 5.0 with all fixes up to a few days ago.
GTK+ 0.99.8
GIMP 0.99.22
SANE 0.71 including the patch to use the ones above.

I do think the code needs a checkup and some more testing afterwards
before it can be included. Unfortunate I can only help you with the most
obvious errors. So someone needs to go over the code with a fine comb to
spot the bugs that still seem to be in there.

I did not test gama stuff as that bails out as well but for a different
reason (floating point exception). Which is not a SANE issue I think.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |