Re: Adaptec AVA-1502AE vs. aha152x

Peter JD Hall (phall@ilap.com)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:34:08 -0500

Hi Mike,
I have read on the net that there is some problem with sane 71 working
with the micotek backend. Currently I am using sane .70. I will stay with
this version until the issue is resolved. I have not set up the gimp as I
really only need line art scanning B/W for my purposes. I do not know if
these two chips are the same. I will have to open my box later this week.
I will let you know at that time if mine is different.
In /etc/conf.modules
<alias ppp0 ppp
alias ppp1 ppp
alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
alias slip0 slip
alias slip1 slip
alias tty-ldisc-1 slip
alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp
options dummy0 -o dummy0
options dummy1 -o dummy1>

/etc/rc.d/rc.modules

#/sbin/modprobe 53c7,8xx
#/sbin/modprobe NCR53c406a
/sbin/modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x140,10,7,1
#/sbin/modprobe aha1542
.............................................................. snip
#/sbin/modprobe scsi_syms
#/sbin/modprobe sd_mod
#/sbin/modprobe seagate
/sbin/modprobe sg
#/sbin/modprobe sr_mod
#/sbin/modprobe st
#/sbin/modprobe u14-34f
#/sbin/modprobe ultrastor
#/sbin/modprobe wd700
/etc/rc.d/rc.S
# This loads any kernel modules that are needed. These might be required
# use your CD-ROM drive, bus mouse, ethernet card, or other optional
hardware.
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ]; then
. /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
fi

Well Mike I hope this is some help. The problem I had was with the linking
of the scanner with the correct device ie sge in my case. I have the
required driver compiled into the kernel and then I turn on the scanner
when I want to use it but I was not able to get it working as a loadable
module.
Cheers
Peter Hall
PS I don't really know much about this but I kept on hacking until it
worked.