Re: Microtek woes

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:06:08 +0100 (MET)

Matto Marjanovic wrote:

> Hey, all,
>
> I've been looking into why the Microtek backend has suddenly started dying
> with sane-0.71....
>
> Ugh -- I'm not sure what all has caused this problem to rear its head now,
> but part of the problem is that, apparently, the Microtek scanners do *not*
> follow the SCSI-II standard for the REQUEST_SENSE command reply --- and the
> Linux mid-level scsi driver (scsi.c) is coded to parse standard sense data,
> not the weird stuff pumped out by these scanners.
> Thus, during error conditions, the scsi driver is certainly confused by what
> the scanner tells it.
>
> Perhaps one solution is to try to ignore the scsi driver's complaints, and
> have the backend send its own REQUEST_SENSE under suspicious circumstances.
> I'm playing with it.

Note that e.g. the AHA1540 card automatically does a "request_sense"
once it notices "abnormal termination" of the previous command.

Wether or not this is done automatically depends on the card/driver.

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |