Re: Problems with sane-0.71 and gimp 0.99.18

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= (mikko@dynas.se)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 15:43:12 +0100 (CET)

On 28 Feb 1998, Kevin Dalley wrote:

> When I installed a newly compiled sane-0.71 and started gimp, I
> received the message below and gimp could not access xscanimage.
> However, I could still run xscanimage directly and access my scanner,
> which is a UMAX 1200S, by the way.
>
> When I went back to sane-0.70, gimp could access sane again. Does
> anyone know the solution to this problem.
>
> query plug-in: "/usr/lib/gimp/0.99/plug-ins/xscanimage"
> /usr/lib/gimp/0.99/plug-ins/xscanimage: invalid option -- g
> Usage: xscanimage [OPTION]... [DEVICE]
>
> Start up graphical user interface to access SANE (Scanner Access Now
> Easy) devices.
>
> -h, --help display this help message and exit
> -V, --version print version information
> wire_read: unexpected EOF
> writing "/home/kevin/.gimp/pluginrc"
> Starting extensions: extension_script_fu

I got this too, and tracked it down to the configure script not
finding "libgimp/gimp.h" and therefore not including gimp support.

Running configure with "CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include" in environment
solved the problem (assuming that's where your "libgimp" header files
are), thus:

gmake distclean
CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include ./configure
gmake

However, I still have problems with gimp 0.99.18 + sane 0.71. Lineart
and greyscale work ok, but color images cause the xscanimage process
to hang. Doesn't matter if I use the scanner or just "dryrun" with the
pnm backend. Haven't had time to figure out what's going on yet (sure,
I know in which function it stops, but not why :-)

This is on FreeBSD 2.2.5 btw.

Regards,
/Mikko