Re: color mode on 600S locks up my SCSI bus

William T Wilson (fluffy@dunadan.com)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 21:13:31 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Preston Brown wrote:

> When I try to use color mode on my 600S, even with the newest patches (I
> have tried through 70i) my SCSI bus locks up SOLID. This is if I try

You are not the only one with this problem. :) I have a 610S and it also
locks up when I try to use color mode.

But I've found that the latest patches will 'unlock' if you turn the
scanner off and on again. (sometimes) But the scan is always ruined. I
also went and got a new active-terminator for mine, since I heard that the
terminator that comes with the Umax scanners is not very good. Maybe that
is the reason it is a little more survivable now.

> I know it is not a SCSI card problem -- grayscale scans are still working
> marvelously.

Maybe it is - you don't happen to have a Trantor T130B, or some other old
slow ISA card? I have the same results as you - grayscale works great,
but color always locks up. Oliver has some sort of decent SCSI card (a
buslogic, I think) and you might have to try getting a better SCSI card.
I will try to get one, just as soon as I can find a better card in the
under $200 range. (I can't justify spending more on my SCSI card than I
did on the scanner) :)