Re: SANE works on SPARCLinux!

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:37:28 +0100 (MET)

David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Justin> Since Linux/SPARC isn't listed on the Supported Platforms
> Justin> list at the sane website, I thought someone might be
> Justin> interested in this.
>
> Sure am! Thanks for the info. I updated sane-support.html as well as
> I could.
>
> Justin> Only problem relates to the sparc SCSI, not sane. While the
> Justin> scanner is moving and not scanning, the kernel vomits out a
> Justin> steady stream of:
>
> Justin> esp0: Warning, live target 5 not responding to selection.
> Justin> (scanner is ID 5)
>
> Justin> Also, once, the scanner froze the SCSI bus and the system
> Justin> eventually kernel panicked (root drive is on the same bus)
> Justin> ... but this happened once out of 20 or so successful scans.
>
> The driver may simply be a bit eager in timing out. It's not an
> uncommon problem. E.g., we had the same problem with the ncr810
> driver. You may want to check the driver for timeout constants that
> may be related to what you're seeing.

On the other hand, reducing the "strip height" should reduce
performance, but allow things to complete successfully. If that
happens, then, indeed, the timeout constants are at work.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a