Re: How to turn off lamp in ScanJet IIcx

Warren Early (earlyw@sphinx-group.com)
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:17:29 -0800

The reason that the light is left on is that there is too much variance in the
amount of lumens and also the color spectrum of light between a cool
flourescent tube and a warm one. This makes consistency and quality swing
wildly so most engineers elect to simply leave the light on. The only
exception
would be scanners that use a much more expensive LED lightsource.

Leaving the light on draws very little power and does no harm to the machine.
The only maintenance you might consider is replacing the tube once a year
because flourescent tubes tend to dim as they age. Many scanner brands use
commonly available tubes that can be purchased locally.